GlobeRiders is extremely proud to offer the 2nd ride of our Himalaya Adventure. We did two exploratory journeys to gain experience and make crucial connections while scouting for the best tracks for our 2021 Adventure. This is most deffenetelly one of these tours that just get better by time as we learn about the region and gain experience.
Your tour leader will be Helge Pedersen who in his younger days criss crossed the globe for 10 years solo on his BMW R80G/S. Needless to say that Helge loves to ride the world. The Himalayas beg to be visited and what better way to do so as on a motorcycle. People are colorful and friendly, nature will impress you with its beauty and you will return as a changed person.
GlobeRiders has been doing group motorcycle adventure tours in Asia since 2000.
Our journeys always start with a Online Forum where we as a group will discuss and prepare for the journey ahead. There are lots of logistics involved in this undertaking, all from bike preparations, visas, inoculations to shipping of the bikes and getting to know your fellow riders.
In early September 2021 we will meet in Chengdu, China. the city is well known for Panda conservation and breeding. From Chengdu we ride north to Tibet as we take our time so we can get used to the high altitude.
The tour being 61 days long gives us enough time not only to ride, but also gives us the opportunity to learn about the cultures and experience the incredible nature of SE Asia.
You will find some of the highlights of the journey below, however the best way to learn about these journeys is to take the time to visit past journals from the various exploratory expeditions, see the list at the bottom of this page with direct links to the journal pages.
|| September 13th 2021 we meet in Chengdu, China.
|| November 12th 2021 in Bangkok, Thailand
||China, Tibet, Nepal, India, Bhutan, Myanmar, Thailand
||5,000 miles or 8,000 kilometers
|Minimum Group Size:
||8 riders and motorcycles - pillion passengers or passengers in chase vehicle are welcome too!
Highlights of the tour will include
- The journey starts in beautiful Chengdu where we will visit the Panda Park. It his here that the Chinese government have been succesful in breeding the endangered Panda.
- After leaving Chengdu we will start our ride to Tibet. We will gradually climb higher and higher and slowly, but shurly get aclimitated to higher altitude.
- After several days in Lhasa the journey continues to Base Camp of Mt. Everest. Hopefully the weather is good and we will get a good look/picture of the worlds tallest mnountain.
- The capital of Nepal, Kathmandu, is another highlight on this journey with rich culture and wonderful people.
- Before leaving Nepal we will stop in Chitwan National Park where we spend two nights at a luxory lodge. We will have several excurtions both on the river and on the back of a elephant from where we can enjoy the local wildlife.
- After a short two days transit through India we enter Bhutan and immideatelly start to climb the steep hills of the Himalayas. The road is good and the view is spectacular.
- We spend no less than 10 days in Bhutan entering in the west and exciting in the far east. In between we will meet some of the most graciouse people. Nature will take your breath away as the roads winds up and down valleys. Truly a highlight on this journey.
- After leaving Bhutan we will transit through India on the way to Myanmar. On the way we will see a very different India from what most people are used to see. People are different and so is their land and cultural way of life.
- Myanmar is another hidden gem in SE Asia. We have at this stage of the ride said farwell to the high mountains of the Himalayas. From now on much of our traveling will be through farmland and this is the season for rice harvest.
- Highlights in Myanmar is our visit to Bagan, Mandaley and not to forget the 3 nights we spend at Inle Lake. We will criss cross the lake in high speed boats to visit villages, crafts centers and local markets.
- In so many ways it feels like a cultural shock to enter Thailand where the roads are more like the highways we are used to from home and tourism is everywhere.
- Our journey ends in Bangkok, Thailand, and it is here we pack up our bikes and ship them back to Seattle. Still we will have a few days to see some of the atractions in and around Bangkok. Cultural villages and the floating market are all on the agenda.
- Accommodations on this journey will vary in quality depending on location and we always strive to provide good hotels and interesting places to spend the night.
- All tracks and maps will be uploaded to your Garmin GPS and this is also accompanied with a Map Book and a Road Book. In other words we do not travel in a large group, but rather encourage riders to join in smaller riding groups of 2-3 riders.
- We always have room for a spouse or a friend to join our journey with reserved space in our chase vehicle.
This can be for the full journey or just for a part of the journey.
To participate in the tour, you must be both experienced and comfortable riding in crowded urban traffic, and over relatively long distances on roads with varying surface conditions on a fully loaded motorcycle. You should own a rough-terrain capable "dual-purpose" type motorcycle, with sturdy, lockable panniers or saddlebags and an approved handlebar-mounted portable Garmin GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver.
The tour package fee DOES include round-trip containerized shipment of your motorcycle from our home port of Seattle, Washington, USA to Chengdu, China. On the return from Bangkok, Thailand, back to Seattle, Washington, USA. Carnet de Passage and the fees involved with this plus all permits for your motorcycle.
Also included is a chase vehicle as your support with English speaking guide and motorcycle guide(s) from GlobeRiders. All outings like museums and cultural events are included and we provide bus transportation so no need to ride your bike. All accommodations, most dinners, all breakfasts, some lunches (on rest days when not riding), fees for guides, drivers and support staff are included.
You will be given a high quality tour T-shirt, decals for your bike, Road and Map Book and your GPS will be loaded with tour maps and tracks of the journey.
The tour package DOES NOT include visa processing fees, motorcycle or shipping insurance, your personal airfare or transportation to Chengdu, China, return airfare or transportation from Bangkok, Thailand, transportation of your motorcycle to/from our home port of Seattle, Washington, USA, deposit fees for your Carnet de Passage, road insurance for your bike or your personal daily expenses such as fuel, consumables, lunch on riding days and tips for guides and drivers, or motorcycle repair or recovery fees in case of a break-down or accident.
|8 bikes or more Double-Occupancy Cost for Rider and Motorcycle
(includes round trip bike shipment and customs bond
for bike importation):
|Single Supplement Price (to be added to the above):
|8 bikes or more Double-Occupancy Cost for Passenger in Chase Vehicle*
(reserved seat in chase vehicle):
|8 bikes or more Double-Occupancy Cost for Pillion Passenger on Motorcycle
(no seat in chase vehicle):
*NOTE - The tour package fee for a non-pillion passenger includes a guaranteed seat for a partner and stowage of a reasonable amount of luggage in an upgraded "chase" vehicle, with a dedicated driver and guide.
** NOTE - A deposit is required to secure your place on this tour. If we are unable to attract a minimum of 8 Riders, the tour will be canceled and your deposit will be refunded in full. The tour is being offered at the tour packages fees listed above for 8 to 18 Riders. If/when we have received a minimum of 8 deposits, the tour is "Go" ; your deposit will not be refunded. Should you withdraw from the tour for any reason it is not refundable. At our discretion, you may be allowed to apply a credit in the amount of your original deposit towards a future tour if taken within one calendar year from the date of your withdrawal. This credit may only be used once. If this credit is not used within one calendar year from the date of your original withdrawal, the credit is forfeited.
For additional information about our tours and processes, please visit our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page by clicking here.
If you have questions, wish to place a deposit,
or wish to make your reservation,
the following link should
open a new email message,
per-addressed to us: send
email to email@example.com
The Fine Print: Early planning is essential. Riders and passengers must be qualified by GlobeRiders and provide riding and character references. Tour participants are required to obtain a signed certification of good health from their physician. Only approved motorcycles with spoked wheels are allowed on our tours. An approved Garmin GPS receiver is required for all tours. Participants must show proof of medical and medical evacuation insurance. Safety first: a full coverage or flip-up style full-coverage helmet, full-fingered gloves, full-coverage riding suit with protective armor and riding boots must be worn at all times when your motorbike is in motion. Priority placement is always given to GlobeRiders clients who are return customers. Final pricing for any tour may be adjusted to reflect changes in foreign exchange rates and/or the final group size.
Archived Journals from previous Himalaya Adventures.
GlobeRiders Himalaya Expedition 2015
GlobeRiders Himalaya Expedition 2017
Globeriders Himalaya Adventure 2018